- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 4 small balls fresh mozzarella
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
1. Coat the inside of a 3 1/2-quart slow cooker with cooking spray and prepare the aluminum foil sling.
2. Beat the egg in a medium bowl. Stir in the onion, breadcrumbs, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and salt and pepper to taste in a small bowl. Add ground beef and combine well. Form into two 5 x 3-inch ovals. Transfer one oval to the center of the prepared slow cooker. Place the 4 mozzarella balls evenly down the center of the meat. Move the second oval on top of the mozzarella and press around the edges to seal. Pour tomato sauce over meatloaf.
3. Cover and cook on High for 3 hours. The meatloaf is cooked when an instant-read thermometer inserted into the middle of the loaf registers 165 degrees.
4. Remove cover, turn off slow cooker, and allow meatloaf to rest 10 minutes. Gather the four strips of the sling toward the center and lift to remove the loaf to a serving platter. Slide meatloaf off the foil with a spatula or knife. Serve warm.